How Automation and Electronic Systems Are Leading the New Industrial Revolution
Faster production and higher quality keep American businesses competitive in an international marketplace. The most significant way to increase and improve these factors is to automate more production and processing with advanced electronic equipment.
Eliminating human error is also a goal of industrial automation in virtually all factories and plants. Employers need skilled technicians with college degrees to lead this new industrial revolution. If you are interested in this career, the following information will provide an introduction to the world of automation and electronic systems technology.
What Is Automation and Electronic Systems Technology?
Industrial automation uses electronic control systems for running devices, machinery, and equipment for the production and processing of parts and products. Automation uses computers, robots, and information technology to achieve goals with minimal human interaction.
Today’s automation goes beyond humans operating equipment and machinery and has evolved into some plants and warehouses that operate themselves. The human element has been reduced or eliminated to increase the efficiency and accuracy of finished products.
Automation systems use feedback loops and sensory programs that automatically adjust devices and equipment to meet current conditions. Digitalization in manufacturing and the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) have made these technical advances a permanent part of today’s business and industry. As more companies invest in automation and electronic systems, they begin to reap the many benefits.
The Industrial Benefits of Automation and Electronic Systems Technology
Plants and factories can operate 24 hours each day with automated systems and can reap many benefits. Lower operating costs are a major concern but not the only significant one.
- Higher Quality and Productivity – Higher quality is achieved by virtually eliminating human error. Machinery and robots do not become tired or sick on the job, which results in more product uniformity. Automation allows companies to operate 24/7/365 with little downtime which greatly increases productivity.
- More Flexibility and Accurate Information – Production modifications can easily be accomplished without human training with the use of programmed robots. Using electronics allows technicians to collect and use production data more accurately. It is easier to make correct decisions with fewer errors and less waste.
- Improved Safety – Employee injuries can be reduced or completely dissolved with automation systems. Electronic devices and robots can be used to handle hazardous operations and conditions to create a safer workplace.
- Increased ‘Bottom Line’ – More automation reduces payroll and healthcare costs for employers as well as bonuses, pension contributions, and taxes. Although the initial cost for installing automation and electronic systems is substantial, the long-term savings pay for the systems.
All these automation benefits are available for companies that range from automotive production to textile manufacturing.
“Faster production and higher quality keep American businesses competitive in an international marketplace. The most significant way to increase and improve these factors is to automate more production and processing with advanced electronic equipment.”
New Developments in Automation
Most of us are not aware of some of the recent advances in automation and electronic systems.
The most significant ones leading the way include:
- Advanced robotic sensing, measurement, and control of processing
- 24-hour manufacturing with machinery accurate to hundredths of a second
- Use of 3D printing for more efficient manufacturing of small components that are complex or highly customized
- Diode lasers to create seamless welds and bonding of materials
We can expect many more advances in automation and electronic systems as the world economy becomes more competitive.
What Will Be Expected of You as an Automation and Electronic Systems Technician?
As an Automation and Electronic Systems technician, you will be expected to operate, test, and monitor a wide range of devices, machinery, and equipment. The exact types will depend on the industries you work in and your specific jobs.
Technicians must have the ability to focus on many details to ensure accuracy and efficiency in production and processing. They must take notes and write reports of current conditions and make recommendations for improvement to their supervisors.
Where to Obtain a Degree in AES Technology
Become part of the new industrial revolution with an Associate of Occupational Studies (AOS) Degree in Automation and Electronic Systems Technology.
ITI Technical College offers excellent training and affordable education in Baton Rouge. If this career is for you, now is the time to become part of the next wave in automation and electronic systems technology.
For more information about graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at: https://iticollege.edu/disclosures/